Materials Science & Engineering
The Zang Research Group
Prof. Ling Zang
USTAR Office: Rm5543 SMBB building,
Department Office: Rm313 CME building,
SMBB Building, Room 5543
36 South Wasatch Dr., Salt Lake City, UT 84112
- Feb. 21, 2013, Vaporsens was invited to demonstrate its explosives and narcotics detection techniques at the Innovation Fair at the State Capitol, see the live coverage by Fox 13 News, http://mms.tveyes.com/Transcript.asp?stationid=2100&DateTime=02%2F21%2F2013+12%3A18%3A19&mediapreload=14&playclip=true
- Feb. 11, 2013, Vaporsens lands $150K SBIR, http://www.techventures.utah.edu/news/2013/02/vaporsens-lands-150k-sbir/
- Feb. 1, 2013, our electronic nose research is reported in the Daily Utah Chronicle, http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/?p=2583411
- July 24, 2012, KSL (Channel 5) TV covers our recent research success in narcotic sensors and the commercialization collaboration with Vaporsens Inc. click for the news clip: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=21401887
- July 9, 2012, our research in electronic dog nose is reported in Innovation Utah, http://newmedia.innovationutah.com/2012/07/09/an-electronic-dogs-nose-sniffs-out-meth/
- July 6, 2012, Congrats to Yanke for election into the 3rd round of "Youth 1000-Talent Plan" of China (青年千人计划), a government endowed professorship. http://www.1000plan.org/qrjh/article/20522
- April 27, 2012, Ben Bunes is awarded with the prestigious NASA Space Technology Research Fellowships (NSTRF). It is extremely competitive to get this award. Congratulations, Ben.
- April 19, 2012, our lab is featured in the 2012 issue of "Business in Utah", the Official Publication of the Governor's Office of Economic Development.
- March 15, 2012, Congratulations to Ben, Miao and Helin, representing University of Utah, their project “Vapor Detection of Peroxide-Based Improvised Explosive Devices” won the ten finalists for the Sixth Annual National Security Innovation Competition --- The National Homeland Defense Foundation (NHDF) today. http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/3/prweb9332877.htm
- Feb. 16, 2012, one of our explosives detector devices was part of the USTAR Science Fair showcase at the State Capitol Rotunda, http://www.standard.net/stories/2012/02/16/ustar-lobbies-legislature where our Ph.D. students Ben, Miao and Helin demonstrated how the device works (2nd and 3rd photos).
- December, 2011, our explosives sensor research and technology development were featured in the November/December issue of Zions Bank Community magazine: No Mean Feet - Nano Net Detects Explosives.
- November, 2011, our heavy metal sensor research was covered in the Fall 2011 issue of UofU Innovations Newsletter.
- November 16, 2011, Zang gave an invited feature talk at Salt Lake Community College on the topic of "Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy through Nanotechnology". see the follow up report by the Globe: http://www.globeslcc.com/2011/11/23/solving-big-problems-with-nanotechnology/
- October 8, 2011, Bringing mercury pollution to light: U. scientist creates faster, cheaper way to measure mercury. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705392164/Bringing-mercury-pollution-to-light-U-scientist-creates-faster-cheaper-way-to-measure-mercury.html , http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=17588913, http://www.utahpulse.com/view/full_story/15983607/article-Faster--Cheaper-Mercury-Test-Could-Provide-Answers-for-China?instance=top_story_pulse
- October 6, 2011, Faster, cheaper mercury test could provide answers for China http://unews.utah.edu/news_releases/faster-cheaper-mercury-test-could-provide-answers-for-china/
- August 31, 2011, Dr. Zang commented on "Nanotechnology emerges in energy efficiency" with Leonardo Energy, http://www.leonardo-energy.org/nanotechnology-emerges-energy-efficiency.
- July 13, 2011, Governor Herbert declared July 13, 14 and 15 as the Utah-Qinghai EcoPartnership days during the National Governors Association Meeting held in SLC. Metallosensors is part of the EcoPartnership, and mentioned in the declaration. Click here for the PDF of Declaration.
- June 8, 2011, MetalloSensors was awarded a SBIR grant for developing next generation of device for Trace Mercury Detection.
- June 3, 2011, Utah Pulse: Nanotechnology and the New Energy Economy, reporting Dr. Zang's new book with Springer and his interview on renewable energy and the impact brought by nanotechnology; also covered in the USTAR network.
- May 16, 2011, Welcome Dr. Ligui Li joining us as a postdoctoral fellow.
- April 11-15, 2011, Dr. Ling Zang delivered an invited talk at the 2011 Workshop on Trace Explosives Detection.
- March 28, 2011, Congratulations to Ben, Miao and Helin! Their project titled "Low-Cost, Portable Detection of Peroxide-Based Improvised Explosive Devices"” has been selected as one of the ten finalist for the Fifth Annual National Security Competition at the United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado on April 29, 2011.
March 18, 2011, The Utah Entrepreneur Challenge announced the top 10 teams for its 2011 competition today. VaporoSens team led by Lassonde Students is among the final 10. UEC announces top-10 teams.
- Feb. 28, 2011, our research on trace explosive detection was featured on KUER radio: http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kuer/news.newsmain/article/0/1/1768597/KUER.Local.News/Utah.Innovation.Bomb-Sniffing.Technology
- Feb. 1, 2011, our research and development work on sensors is highlighted by the Zions Bank "Speaking on Business" program through KSL News Radio. http://www.zionsbancorporation.com/zionsbank/resources/audio/20110201.mp3
- the Zions Bank "Speaking on Business" is a radio program highlighting businesses throughout Utah and Idaho. The week of Jan. 31st, the spotlighted companies and breakthrough research associated with USTAR. The host of the program is Chris Redgrave, former general manager of KSL NewsRadio in Salt Lake City, and past chair of the Salt Lake Chamber Board of Governors.
- Jan. 26, 2011, Utah Center of Trace Explosives Detection (UCTED) is established, with sponsorship of the State's Centers of Excellence program.
- Jan. 24, 2011, Chengyi's paper "Fluorescent nanoscale zinc(ii)-carboxylate coordination polymers for explosive sensing" was amongst the top ten accessed articles of ChemComm in the month December 2010 after published online. You can browse the full list of top 10 articles here.
- September 14, 2010, Dr. Zang was appointed as an Entrepreneurial Faculty Scholar (EFS) of the University of Utah.
- September 2, 2010, Zengxing's work on Reversible Dispersion and Release of Carbon Nanotubes Using Foldamers is now accepted for publication in Journal of the American Chemical Society.
- July, 2010, a new way of making graphene -- a single layer of carbon atoms -- for potential use in high-speed electronic devices. http://www.coe.utah.edu/view_news/130
- May 15, 2010, Ben, Helin, and Miao presented "the Magic of Color" and demonstrated hands-on excitments at NanoDays 2010, Utah. NanoDays is a nationwide festival of educational programs about nanoscale science and engineering. This year, NanoDays Utah was hosted by the Nano Institute of Utah at the University of Utah, in partnership with The Leonardo, Utah Science Center, and the Utah Museum of Natural History, http://www.nanoinstitute.utah.edu/portal/site/nanoinstitute/menuitem.b8a5b35f12d1cba65b2c5b69c1e916b9/?vgnextoid=cac6bd6846fd7210VgnVCM1000001c9e619bRCRD more details can be found here: http://www.eng.utah.edu/~lzang/nanodays.html
- Dec., 2009, our research in nanomaterials and applications in trace explosives detection and clean energy were featured in the 2009 Research Report, College of Engineering: http://www.coe.utah.edu/includes/documents/ResearchReport09_05_Trace.pdf
- August 31,
2009, our patented technology on nanofibril explosives sensory materials
is now licensed to ICx Technologies,
a leading manufacturer of explosives detectors, as featured in a News
Paper, the Southern Illinoisan.
- April 17, 2009, Earth Day in Utah: our research in sensors and solar cells leads to part of the prospective of creating cleaner environment, http://www.utahpulse.com/featured_article/ustar-a-green-perspective
- Feb. 18, 2009, Detecting Danger at the Nanoscale: Technology to Improve Security, Environment, http://www.innovationutah.com/ustarreport/UR_Nanodetection.html
- Dec. 18, 2008, The explosives sensor research was highlighted by Utah Pulse, http://www.utahpulse.com/featured_article/ustar-hire-improves-bomb-detecting-device
- Dec. 10, 2008, Dr. Zang attended a USTAR luncheon with Governor Huntsman.
- Dec. 5, 2008, Dr. Zang was interviewed by KSL Radio on the new explosives sensor research, http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4987816
- Dec. 4, 2008, Our research was reported by The Daily Utah Chronicle, http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/news/1.1047187
- Aug 2008, Our lab moved from the Southern Illinois University to University of Utah, as part of the USTAR program, http://www.innovationutah.com/aboutustar.html.
- Nanofiber research highlighted in Materials Today, July Issue, 2007.
- June 7, 2007, Nanotechnology research at NESMI lab is featured in a News Paper, Southeast Missouri.
- May 31, 2007, Expedient Explosives Detection via Nanofibril Sensor Films now featured on TV, the Heartland News, KFVS12 (CBS). (click for the scripture)
- May 29, 2007, Explosives Sensing research featured in a News Paper, the Southern Illinoisan.
- Tam's JACS paper on Explosives Sensing is highlighted in Nature Nanotechnology, May 25, 2007.
(updated in August 2010)
web design by Scitechland